While the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that a child should be brought to the dentist the moment his or her first tooth comes, dentist visits could be quite scary for little ones. There’s just something about the sight of an adult with a white mask, the smell and the sounds of a dental clinic that upsets children. For your Lakewood Ranch kids dentistry needs, Dr. Michael S. Kanter and the other dentists at the Lakewood Ranch Dental pride themselves in offering a child-friendly environment, where children look forward to their next visits.
Below is a quick rundown of things to consider when choosing a pediatric dentist for your little one.
- The best way to find the right pediatric dentist for your child is to ask for recommendations from family and friends with little ones. You can also ask your pediatrician for recommendations.
- Once you have narrowed down your list, you can check on the dentists’ education and experience. A pediatric dentist often have 2 to 3 years of training devoted to meeting the needs of infants, children and teenagers.
- You might also want to consider the way a dentist will handle your child on your first visit. Does he or she dresses like the usual dentist ensemble? Or does he or she makes an effort to wear something with cute illustrations?
What to Expect During Your Visits
Here’s a bird’s eye view of what to expect during your visits to the pediatric dentist:
- Risk assessment of cavities.
- Repair of cavities and defects.
- Assessment of the child’s tooth development.
- Preventive dental care such as fluoride treatment, sealants and cleaning.
- Management and prevention of gum diseases and other oral conditions such as ulcers and short frenulae.
- Treating knocked out, displaced or fractured teeth.
Get in touch with the warm and children-friendly staff of Lakewood Ranch Dental today. We will surely be delighted to meet your little one. Schedule your initial visit today!