At Lakewood Ranch Dental, your comfort is one of our greatest concerns. There is no reason to be anxious about suffering any pain during or after your visit. Whether it’s a simple cleaning or a complex procedure, the doctors at Lakewood Ranch Dental employ several different technologies to ensure your complete comfort.
Nitrous Oxide is sweet-smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas which you can breathe. Nitrous oxide is safe; the patient receives oxygen with no more than 60% nitrous oxide. You are able to breathe on your own and remain in control of all bodily functions. In some cases patients can fall asleep.
Reasons to take Nitrous Oxide:
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover.” Nitrous is metabolized in a few breaths.
- Nitrous Oxide is very effective in minimizing gagging
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2-3 minutes its relaxation and pain killing properties develop.
You should not utilize Nitrous Oxide if you have been diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Though there are no other major contraindications to using nitrous oxide, you may not want to use it if you have emphysema, chest problems, M.S., or other difficulties with breathing.
Reasons to use Oral Sedation:
Oral sedation is a wonderful experience for our patients who may otherwise feel anxiety about a dental procedure. Oral sedation is a simple pill that you would take an hour before your visit. You are not able to drive the rest of the day. The Oral sedation will make you feel sleepy.
- Fear of dental work
- A prior traumatic dental experience
- Difficulty getting numb
- A bad gag reflex
- Very sensitive teeth
- Limited time to complete dental care
- Complex dental problems
- Fear of needles/shots
- Feelings of embarrassment about teeth
- Dislike of smells or tastes associated with dental care